Friday, October 7, 2011

The Girl with the Turquoise Ring


Allie majors in Journalism at the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and is moving more towards Public Relations. As of now, she's focusing on school because it's kind of hard acclimating to a solo life. Second semester of senior year, she plans to study abroad in Spain. She went to Spain once during a high school trip and she fell in love with the country. She hopes to work for a travel or fashion magazine and if that doesn't work out, she'll start her own blog.




Immediately after I saw her sitting two seats in front of me, I knew I had to interview the girl with the long, light blue skirt paired with a sweater. Her sense of style was riveting from the start. Needless to say, other than reading the NY Times and NYLON online during my English class, I began to wonder about the girl's turquoise ring.

When I asked her what she wanted to say through her style, Allie Conrad said, "I don't know. I like food; lets be real, I'm not skinny...I hate sounding so preachy...You can still dress cute no matter what you look like." 

The California native defines her style as "Hippie, California, and Comfortable". 

Allie's source of inspiration lies in Karla's Closet blog -- "She's really cool," she said -- and as well as looking at online stores, like Nasty Gal (http://www.shopnastygal.com/), and seeing how the clothes are layered on the models. 

She mostly shops at F21, H&M, and a variety of boutiques where she said she can find "different pop pieces." 

Fortunately for all of you, she falls into the range of savvy shoppers. 


"I will not buy something if I don't really want it," she said. "I don't have a set budget because if I love something, I'm gonna buy it." 


She explains that she's picky and questions herself whether something is worth buying, and what she ends up buying usually comes to a total of less than or equal to $50.

Most importantly though, Allie said,"Right now, they're [clothes] kind of singing...this is so like '70s; it makes me think they're singing Stevie Nicks because she was so bad-ass --that's what the boots are singing -- [her clothes] the rest was so flowy and hippie."









Turquoise Ring - $25 ("Doesn't turn my finger green; I wear it all the time.")
Blue V-Neck - DIY knot, gift from sister, American Apparel, ~$20
Cardigan - Thrift shop, $12
"Skirt" - Really a camisole belted at the top
Boots - Candies Brand, Kohls, Sale for $40
 Silver Ring - 7 years ago at Swap Meet 
Turquoise Bracelet - Street Vendor in Paris, 6 Euros (Paris trip: graduation gift; traveled with dad to London, Rome, and Paris)
Left Hand Copper Bracelet Swap Meet - .50 cents
Right Hand Copper - Swap Meet, $2
Black String - "Just came attached to something."
Thumb Ring: DIY Key Ring
Necklace - Christmas gift from mom
Earrings - Were her mom's and before that her grandma's




No comments:

Post a Comment