Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Putting To Use A Holiday Dress

If you're anything like me, you probably went out and bought a dress or two this past holiday season that was perfect for the occasion, but now what?
New Years Eve
I picked up this red velvet dress, $13 at Ross, for our Christmas dinner and wore it again to ring in the New Year. Two times just isn't enough, though, so I thought I'd show you a few tips on how to casually make use of your holiday dresses.










Layer, layer, layer. I find it that layering can work wonders for any outfit. For this one, I chose to layer the dress over a skull print collared blouse. Any collared top would have been fine, but I find it the edgy print gives this outfit a little more life (I'm sure there's a pun somewhere in there). I also did a bit of reverse layering on my legs by ditching the tights and opting for over-the-knee socks instead. 

Not everyone needs to know it's a dress. The way I see any dress is as two pieces of clothing. Throw a shirt over and wear it as a skirt, or wear it as a top (typically only works with bodycon or pencil skirt dresses) with pants or another skirt. 

Keep it simple and neutral. If you opted for sparkles this holiday season, keep the rest of your outfit toned down with neutral colors like black or beige. Or go for flats rather than high heels.

There you have it, hope you found some of these tips helpful! Just know it is possible to make good use of all your purchases. 
Meow & Out, Gabee
p.s. Sorry for the awkward, slanted photos. My camera and tripod did not want to work together today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment