Friday, November 2, 2012

Church Swag

I think everyone has a pretty good visual of a church outfit. Never would I have pegged Demetrius Burns' wardrobe to be of church swag, but that's what the current-Washington state resident calls it.

Demetrius has quite the daring and that '60s/contemporary suave look, which is sort of why I don't think of it as church-going clothes: but that's probably because of my church clothes vision. 

Inspired by his dad who was voted best-dressed in high school, Demetrius has always put effort into his wardrobe. Last year, I took photos of Demetrius, which were used by Arizona Foothills Magazine, where he layered and topped off his outfit with eclectic pieces that..well, I can't describe, so check it out!

After my Goodwill post, Demetrius contacted me through Facebook and told me that the sweater he was wearing in his profile photo was from Goodwill. The sweater is shown below.

He further describes his style as portmanteau, vintage, dissonant.

"Fashion is my life," he says. "I'm a writer, and I try to make my writing visual and highly synchronous while at the same time having some dissonance to them. For example, in my outfit I'm wearing three different colors of brown, which is usually a no-no, but I pulled it together through subtly. So in my writing I try to bring in dissonance subtly in order to supplant my synchronicity."



Demetrius tells me that if his sweater could sing, it would be singing Miguel's "Let My Love Adorn You" featuring Wiz Khalifa or The Weeknd's "What You Need." 

"Both songs are slow jams that carry a seductive element to them," he says. "I think with every outfit that I wear, there is a spark of seduction, and I want people to take their time to soak in the complexities within my outfits. I like complexity: in people, in music and in outfits." 








No comments:

Post a Comment